Mickey's Girls

Random thoughts, hilarious moments and sweet sentiments... Our girls give us tons of these every day and this blog is our way of sharing the joy of raising two sweet little people with you. This is our life...to love Jesus, love each other, laugh a lot and enjoy the moments He's given us. Hope you enjoy!

Thursday, August 31, 2006

Thursday Thirteen


Thirteen Things about My Childhood
And each one is a fond memory!


1. We almost moved to the Philipines but instead we moved to VA from GA when I was 5. I grew up in Altavista, VA at a christian conference center that my dad started back up after it had sat empty for a few years...therefore, I was the "camp director's kid."

2. My dad was also a pastor...therefore, I was the "pastor's kid"...except he traveled doing conferences rather than being the pastor of a specific church.

3. My mom worked alongside my dad at the camp - cooking, cleaning, bookkeeping, etc... - but was home with me and my brother too! (we lived at the camp so that was convenient!)

4. The camp had a "ranch side" where we had as many as 40 horses at a time. I had my own personal horse, Ghalii El Monieta. She was an Egyptian Arabian and absolutely beautiful! We bred her and had Ghailaa El Monieta who followed me around like a puppy dog! I miss them! I taught horseback riding lessons and we did trailrides for the campers and the general public.

5. Our house was built in the early 1900's and had a tin roof, didn't have closets to speak of, only had a/c and heat on the first floor and we shared one bathroom that didn't have a shower but it did have a beautiful pawfoot bathtub. Doesn't sound too bad til you consider that we always seemed to have someone living with us!

6. Our "chores" weren't split along typical gender lines - my brother and I both did all of the following: vacuuming, sweeping, dishes, mowing and weedeating the yard, cleaning stalls, dusting, taking out the trash, and whatever else needed to be done.

7. I went to school 30 minutes from home and rode the bus so we were out the door really really early and then when we got home, we typically walked the almost mile long driveway back home!

8. My dad made some paddles that were about 18 inches long and about 1/4 inch thick to give away as part of a sermon illustration (I think) and the leftovers are what we got disciplined with. Many a paddle was broken on mine & my brother's backside! Mom still has one hanging in their house! (and no, it wasn't child abuse!)

9. I had always been taller and "larger" than everyone else but I grew about 6 inches one summer between 6th & 7th grade...I'm 5'10" now and I don't think I've grown any since that summer. It took a long time for me to be comfortable in my own skin and for the guys to catch up with me! I got a whole new wardrobe that year though!

10. I played volleyball and basketball in middle school and high school. In 7th grade, one of the basketball referees tried to help me out because I was so clumsy and when I was graduating high school, he happened to referee my last game which happened to be the Championship game which we won and I got MVP honors. He didn't fail to remind me of that game in 7th grade when I couldn't hold on to the ball! Oh - my dad coached my team 10th-12th grades!

11. My first kiss...well, okay...to protect the not-so-innocent...I won't tell you about this one. *grin* You just never know who's gonna read this!

12. My parents named me "mandy" because they thought it was somewhat original but I was surrounded my "mandy's" my entire life...one of my closest friend's name was "mandi"and she lived with us for a summer and we worked together too, I played volleyball and basketball with a "mandy" and we looked somewhat similar on the court and we worked together for several years, and my best friend's sister's name was "mandi" - Mandy's everywhere!

13. And my favorite thing about my childhood (and this remains to this day) is that my mom and dad loved us enough to discipline us, teach us right from wrong, tend to our wounds both physically and emotionally, celebrate our successes and teach us who our Heavenly Father is so that we could come to know Him personally.





Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!


The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Be sure to update your Thirteen with links that are left for you, as well! I will link to everyone who participates and leaves a link to their 13 things. Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!



36 Comments:

At 10:00 PM, Blogger PresentStorm said...

Sounds like an awesome childhood... paddles and all.. We also had one hanging on our wall that got used often..lol They do not still have it but it worked.

I really like your list, have a great Thursday!

 
At 10:03 PM, Blogger Lisa said...

What an interesting childhood! I enjoyed reading your list. Thanks for posting it.

have a good Thursday!

 
At 10:06 PM, Blogger Guppyman said...

I think I would have wanted to skip the whole paddle thing, but sounds great!

 
At 10:06 PM, Blogger MysteriousLady said...

Sounds like you have some very fine memories to hold close to your heart!

 
At 10:12 PM, Blogger Southern Girl said...

Aww, that's a great list! I love that I can say the same re: #13, too. :)

My TT is also up!
http://southern-born-and-bred.blogspot.com

 
At 10:14 PM, Blogger Lisa said...

What a cool childhood! I would have given my right arm for an arabian (heck, still would!)

Thanks for visiting my 13!

 
At 10:16 PM, Blogger sobeit said...

It sounds like you were truly blessed. I'm a "pk" too! We moved around a lot, but I wouldn't trade it for anything! Happy TT!

Kelli
http://sobeit89.squarespace.com

 
At 10:17 PM, Blogger Tina said...

Wow, you almost moved to the Philippines? That's where I live. :D That's cool, even if it's just almost.

Happy Thursday! :)

 
At 10:20 PM, Blogger SunshineBlues said...

You have some wonderful memories and some great love there! Sounds great! I posted early. Mine is up. Have a great Thursday!

 
At 10:27 PM, Blogger NOLADawn said...

Interesting list, great childhood memories!

 
At 10:31 PM, Blogger Tug said...

Memories are good....LOVE horses - they calm me!

Mine's up!

 
At 10:35 PM, Blogger Kimmy said...

Great list! It sounds like you had a great childhood... well, besides the paddles. I can remember broken paddles in my childhood, too. Hated it!
Number 6... great! Didn't happen in my house. I was stuck cleaning while my brother watched cartoons... and only mowed when it fit into his schedule. Ugh! (Can you tell I'm still bitter about that :p)
Number 13... I agree! Same with my parents! And I'm so thankful for God's blessings!!!!

Happy T13! My list's up!

 
At 10:40 PM, Blogger Lindsay said...

I love this 13..... I loved reading your list!

 
At 11:10 PM, Blogger FRIDAY'S CHILD said...

That was very close....your moving to the Philippines. But who knows if you were here you would not have been blogging and though I'm from the Philippines, we might not have met.
My TT13 is up too.

 
At 11:26 PM, Blogger Suzy0928 said...

Your list is awesome! I loved all your memories...especially the last one! It's a blessing to have children and I hope that I teach mine about our Heavenly Father as well as your parent's did. =)

Suzy @ imagine-bliss.com

 
At 11:49 PM, Blogger ...my 2 cents said...

Sounds like a great childhood! Especially the part about having all those horses and about having such great parents! And I agree w/ you on #8.. (I don't call it child abuse either)

Have a great Thursday!!

 
At 12:10 AM, Blogger Tracie said...

What great childhood memories. Love this list

My TT is up!

 
At 1:31 AM, Blogger bernie said...

I have mine up at TT - 13 Viruses Thursday


As for the paddle, sad to say, it was child abuse - deny it all you want - nothing personal.

 
At 3:14 AM, Blogger MommyBa said...

I bet writing down this TT for the week brought you down memory lane big time. It's always nice to reminisce a wonderful childhood :)

Wonderful list for this week!

Happy Thursday!

 
At 3:27 AM, Blogger Tink said...

Thanks for sharing these memories; I loved to read them!
My TT is about online CD/DVD/book stores.

 
At 4:34 AM, Blogger amy said...

Mandy Powell, you rock! How do you already have 20 comments bt 530am which means 430am your time! Im totally impressed!

 
At 4:59 AM, Blogger Nadiah Alwi said...

Still curious abt #11

;D

Happy TT!

 
At 7:05 AM, Blogger Jenny Ryan said...

It sounds like you had a great childhood. Thanks for sharing such nice memories. :)

 
At 8:17 AM, Blogger Karen said...

Girl! Look at you all up on the TT the night before! You go girl!
Love the list! Absolutely love it. #13 rocks.
Love you!
Oh, my TT is up!

 
At 8:19 AM, Blogger Pass The Torch said...

Fond memories!! Great idea to celebrate them.

Thanks for commenting on my TT!

Home of Pass the Torch Tuesday

 
At 9:10 AM, Blogger Trish said...

Sweet list! :)

Happy TT!
I played too.

 
At 9:32 AM, Blogger Vera said...

hi! this is very interesting :) how come you almost moved to the Philippines? and i would have enjoyed growing up in a camp! :)

 
At 9:36 AM, Blogger ribbiticus said...

#1 was certainly of great interest to me. mine's up! ;)

 
At 9:39 AM, Blogger Mama Duck said...

Awwww, that is so sweet! Hope you are having a wonderful day - our TT is up and we're also hosting the Carnival of the Vanities this week if you haven't visited it already ;).

 
At 10:51 AM, Blogger Cindy said...

Mandy, we have some things in common...I grew up as a PK, and a whole bunch of my loved ones live in the Austin area. I love it!

Check out my TT when you get a moment...

 
At 11:09 AM, Blogger cass said...

Great list!

 
At 11:47 AM, Blogger Barbara said...

I love #6. That is how it should be with chores! Great list.

My Thursday 13 is up.

 
At 12:02 PM, Blogger PatentPrincess said...

Sounds like you had an amazing childhood with a lot of great memories! Thanks for sharing :)

 
At 9:17 PM, Blogger DK said...

Wow, what a childhood! I know it was tons of work, but you have terrific memories. Thanks for sharing them with us. Drop by my new blog when you're in the neighborhood!

 
At 9:47 PM, Blogger EmilyRoseJewel said...

#13, very true, you should be very grateful to have such parents. I think you had a very blessed childhood. Thanks for stopping by!

 
At 2:14 PM, Blogger Jersey Girl said...

neat read... :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home